CVE-2022-42475 vulnerability in Fortinet Products
Published on January 2, 2023
A heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability [CWE-122] in FortiOS SSL-VPN 7.2.0 through 7.2.2, 7.0.0 through 7.0.8, 6.4.0 through 6.4.10, 6.2.0 through 6.2.11, 6.0.15 and earlier and FortiProxy SSL-VPN 7.2.0 through 7.2.1, 7.0.7 and earlier may allow a remote unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code or commands via specifically crafted requests.
Known Exploited Vulnerability
This Fortinet FortiOS Heap-Based Buffer Overflow Vulnerability is part of CISA's list of Known Exploited Vulnerabilities. Multiple versions of Fortinet FortiOS SSL-VPN contain a heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability which can allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to execute arbitrary code or commands via specifically crafted requests.
The following remediation steps are recommended / required by January 3, 2023: Apply updates per vendor instructions.
CVE-2022-42475 can be exploited with network access, and does not require authorization privileges or user interaction. This vulnerability is considered to have a low attack complexity. It has the highest possible exploitability rating (3.9). The potential impact of an exploit of this vulnerability is considered to be critical as this vulnerability has a high impact to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of this component.
What is a Memory Corruption Vulnerability?
The software writes data past the end, or before the beginning, of the intended buffer. Typically, this can result in corruption of data, a crash, or code execution. The software may modify an index or perform pointer arithmetic that references a memory location that is outside of the boundaries of the buffer. A subsequent write operation then produces undefined or unexpected results.
CVE-2022-42475 has been classified to as a Memory Corruption vulnerability or weakness.
Products Associated with CVE-2022-42475
You can be notified by stack.watch whenever vulnerabilities like CVE-2022-42475 are published in these products:
What versions are vulnerable to CVE-2022-42475?
- Fortinet Fortios Version 5.6.0 through 5.6.14
- Fortinet Fortios Version 5.4.0 through 5.4.13
- Fortinet Fortios Version 5.2.0 through 5.2.15
- Fortinet Fortios Version 5.0.0 through 5.0.14
- Fortinet Fortios Version 6.2.0 through 6.2.11
- Fortinet Fortios Version 6.0.0 through 6.0.15
- Fortinet Fortios Version 6.4.0 through 6.4.10
- Fortinet Fortios Version 7.2.0 through 7.2.2
- Fortinet Fortios Version 7.0.0 through 7.0.8
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 1.0.0 through 1.0.7
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 1.1.0 through 1.1.6
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 1.2.0 through 1.2.13
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 7.2.0
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 7.0.0 through 7.0.7
- Fortinet Fortiproxy Version 2.0.0 through 2.0.11
Each of the following must match for the vulnerability to exist.