CVE-2016-5195 vulnerability in Canonical and Other Products
Published on November 10, 2016
Known Exploited Vulnerability
This Linux Kernel Race Condition Vulnerability is part of CISA's list of Known Exploited Vulnerabilities. Race condition in mm/gup.c in the Linux kernel allows local users to escalate privileges.
The following remediation steps are recommended / required by March 24, 2022: Apply updates per vendor instructions.
CVE-2016-5195 can be exploited with local system access, and requires small amount of user privileges. This vulnerability is considered to have a low attack complexity. It has an exploitability score of 1.8 out of four. The potential impact of an exploit of this vulnerability is considered to be very high.
What is a Race Condition Vulnerability?
The program contains a code sequence that can run concurrently with other code, and the code sequence requires temporary, exclusive access to a shared resource, but a timing window exists in which the shared resource can be modified by another code sequence that is operating concurrently.
CVE-2016-5195 has been classified to as a Race Condition vulnerability or weakness.
Products Associated with CVE-2016-5195
You can be notified by stack.watch whenever vulnerabilities like CVE-2016-5195 are published in these products:
What versions are vulnerable to CVE-2016-5195?
- Canonical Ubuntu Linux Version 16.10
- Canonical Ubuntu Linux Version 14.04
- Canonical Ubuntu Linux Version 16.04
- Canonical Ubuntu Linux Version 12.04
- Linux Kernel Version 3.3 Fixed in Version 3.4.113
- Linux Kernel Version 2.6.22 Fixed in Version 3.2.83
- Linux Kernel Version 3.5 Fixed in Version 3.10.104
- Linux Kernel Version 3.11 Fixed in Version 3.12.66
- Linux Kernel Version 3.13 Fixed in Version 3.16.38
- Linux Kernel Version 3.17 Fixed in Version 3.18.44
- Linux Kernel Version 3.19 Fixed in Version 4.1.35
- Linux Kernel Version 4.2 Fixed in Version 4.4.26
- Linux Kernel Version 4.5 Fixed in Version 4.7.9
- Linux Kernel Version 4.8 Fixed in Version 4.8.3
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Version 7.0
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Version 6.0
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Tus Version 6.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Eus Version 6.7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Long Life Version 5.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Aus Version 6.4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Version 5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Long Life Version 5.9
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Aus Version 6.2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Eus Version 7.1
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Eus Version 6.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Aus Version 6.5
- Debian Linux Version 8.0
- Debian Linux Version 7.0