CVE-2023-22518 vulnerability in Atlassian Products
Published on October 31, 2023
All versions of Confluence Data Center and Server are affected by this unexploited vulnerability. This Improper Authorization vulnerability allows an unauthenticated attacker to reset Confluence and create a Confluence instance administrator account. Using this account, an attacker can then perform all administrative actions that are available to Confluence instance administrator leading to - but not limited to - full loss of confidentiality, integrity and availability. Atlassian Cloud sites are not affected by this vulnerability. If your Confluence site is accessed via an atlassian.net domain, it is hosted by Atlassian and is not vulnerable to this issue.
Known Exploited Vulnerability
This Atlassian Confluence Data Center and Server Improper Authorization Vulnerability is part of CISA's list of Known Exploited Vulnerabilities. Atlassian Confluence Data Center and Server contain an improper authorization vulnerability that can result in significant data loss when exploited by an unauthenticated attacker. There is no impact on confidentiality since the attacker cannot exfiltrate any data.
The following remediation steps are recommended / required by November 28, 2023: Apply mitigations per vendor instructions or discontinue use of the product if mitigations are unavailable.
CVE-2023-22518 is exploitable with network access, and does not require authorization privileges or user interaction. This vulnerability is considered to have a low attack complexity. It has the highest possible exploitability rating (3.9). The potential impact of an exploit of this vulnerability is considered to be critical as this vulnerability has a high impact to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of this component.
What is an AuthZ Vulnerability?
The software performs an authorization check when an actor attempts to access a resource or perform an action, but it does not correctly perform the check. This allows attackers to bypass intended access restrictions.
CVE-2023-22518 has been classified to as an AuthZ vulnerability or weakness.
Products Associated with CVE-2023-22518
You can be notified by stack.watch whenever vulnerabilities like CVE-2023-22518 are published in these products:
What versions are vulnerable to CVE-2023-22518?
- Atlassian Confluence Data Center Version 1.0.0 Fixed in Version 7.19.16
- Atlassian Confluence Data Center Version 8.6.0
- Atlassian Confluence Data Center Version 8.5.0 Fixed in Version 8.5.3
- Atlassian Confluence Data Center Version 8.4.0 Fixed in Version 8.4.4
- Atlassian Confluence Data Center Version 7.20.0 Fixed in Version 8.3.4
- Atlassian Confluence Server Version 1.0.0 Fixed in Version 7.19.16
- Atlassian Confluence Server Version 8.4.0 Fixed in Version 8.4.4
- Atlassian Confluence Server Version 8.5.0 Fixed in Version 8.5.3
- Atlassian Confluence Server Version 8.6.0
- Atlassian Confluence Server Version 7.20.0 Fixed in Version 8.3.4