CVE-2022-44698 vulnerability in Microsoft Products
Published on December 13, 2022
Known Exploited Vulnerability
This Microsoft Defender SmartScreen Security Feature Bypass Vulnerability is part of CISA's list of Known Exploited Vulnerabilities. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen contains a security feature bypass vulnerability that could allow an attacker to evade Mark of the Web (MOTW) defenses via a specially crafted malicious file.
The following remediation steps are recommended / required by January 3, 2023: Apply updates per vendor instructions.
CVE-2022-44698 is exploitable with network access, requires user interaction. This vulnerability is considered to have a low attack complexity. It has an exploitability score of 2.8 out of four. The potential impact of an exploit of this vulnerability is considered to have no impact on confidentiality, with no impact on integrity and availability.
What is an AuthZ Vulnerability?
The software performs an authorization check when an actor attempts to access a resource or perform an action, but it does not correctly perform the check. This allows attackers to bypass intended access restrictions.
CVE-2022-44698 has been classified to as an AuthZ vulnerability or weakness.
Products Associated with CVE-2022-44698
You can be notified by stack.watch whenever vulnerabilities like CVE-2022-44698 are published in these products:
What versions are vulnerable to CVE-2022-44698?
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1607
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Version -
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Version -
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1809
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 20h2
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 21h1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Version -
- Microsoft Windows 11 Version - arm64
- Microsoft Windows 11 Version - x64
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 21h2
- Microsoft Windows 10 Version 22h2